The Mets have placed CF Brandon Nimmo on the disabled list with a left hand contusion. Gnats’ manager Luis Rojas is hoping that Nimmo can be back in the minimum seven days and downplayed the nature of Nimmo’s injury, “It’s nothing major,” he said. “We’re checking it out closely. Right now, we’re just communicating with the doctors, the hand specialists in Savannah and the doctor in New York. They’re gonna set a progression that’s going to take a couple of days. It’s nothing major. He should be back maybe in five days. We set the disabled just to focus on his healing and that he’s 100% on the field when he gets back on the field.”
Nimmo has not played in a game since April 29. Nimmo said he first felt discomfort when the team was up in Lakewood New Jersey. At the end of the Lakewood series on April 21, Nimmo was hitting an eye-popping .424/.513/.576. However, since leaving New Jersey, Nimmo was 1-for-24 with 10 strikeouts. If anything, the move is overdue, as Nimmo has not taken batting practice in a week.
Placing Nimmo on the DL buys the Gnats the ability to use the extra roster spot on Maikis De La Cruz. Now 22, De La Cruz hit .274/.317/.386 in 63 games with Kingsport last year.