– Zack Wheeler had an MRI on his finger because he’s having blister problems again. He missed a start with a blister issue in 2012. The Giants held Wheeler out for six weeks when he had a blister problem in 2010.
– Apparently Luis Mateo’s changeup is now good too, according to St. Lucie pitching coach Phil Regan, as quoted by MiLB.com: “His changeup is outstanding… His fastball is plus. He has three plus pitches. His slider was almost unhittable [Tuesday].” Regan says Mateo was sitting 93-95. Well, well, well.
– Adam Rubin talks to Noah Syndergaard for his first Farm Report at ESPNNY. The most interesting thing to me? The relationship between Syndergaard, Brandon Nimmo and Michael Fulmer who have all become good friends. Nimmo told me that he and Fulmer became close when they played on the Mets’ GCL team in the summer of 2011 right after they were drafted. To some degree it seems like the pair adopted Syndergaard, who Nimmo describes as “funny” and is just about the same age this spring. Fulmer and Syndergaard were throwing partners in Spring Training this year.
– As long as we are talking about Syndergaard, Eno Sarris, who writes for roughly a million different sites, looked at composite prospect rankings list and finds that Syndergaard’s average ranking was the most volatile of any player in the top 50.
– At Amazin’ Avenue, Rob Castellano thinks Rainy Lara is a sleeper. I agree. He’s a big body with an average fastball. That’s sleeperish.
– Cubs prospect Jorge Soler menaced the opposing dugout with a bat after getting tangled up on a hard slide at second. Oh, no. This will be a BIG story.