Saturday was the first official day of pitchers and catchers who are in STEP Camp. Position players, while they’re all in town, do not report until the 27th and had the day off Saturday.
So, what happened? A little stretching, a little throwing, a little running, some PFP (Pitcher fielding practice) and some BP (batting practice).
– Half the pitchers threw their first official bullpen of the spring. The other half will throw on Sunday.
— Steven Matz threw a bullpen on Saturday. He’s getting good (very) early reviews and certainly seems ticketed for the front of the 2013 Savannah Sand Gnats rotation.
– After the pitchers were done throwing, the catchers got to take BP.
– RHP Jacob deGrom (pictured) has a broken pinky on his non-throwing hand which he sustained working his offseason job. However, he still threw his ‘pen and did his throwing program. The Mets will send him for more x-rays, but they hope it will not delay his year at all.
– Michael Fulmer and Noah Syndergaard worked as throwing partners. Those are two big, young hard-throwing guys. The pairing makes perfect sense – they’re close in age, and likely headed for Port St. Lucie together.
– The Mets will once again use six-man rotations from double-A on down.