- Jeurys Familia on Saturday: 3 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 2 K. Familia now has allowed 108 hits and 61 walks in 103.1 innings. Both poor numbers stem from a similar place: inability to locate his pitches, particularly his fastball. He has walked 12.8% of the hitters he has faced and allowed hits to 22.7%. People of the internet, here is your challenge: find me a pitcher who became a good starter who walked over 11% of the hitters he faced and gave up hits to over 20% in either his age 22 season or AAA.
– 3B/DL denizen Zach Lutz was hit by a pitch on Saturday, left the game and did not play Sunday.
– Lucas Duda was 0-for-4 Saturday and played RF. He’s played right field in all three games in Buffalo and gone 1-for-12.
– LHP Robert Carson made his second AAA outing Sunday and allowed a hit in his 1.1 innings, but no runs. So far so good for Carson, as he’s fanned four and has not walked a batter in two outings with the Bisons. He has the velocity. It’s all about location with him and every good outing pushes him ever so slightly to the big leagues.
– CF Matt den Dekker doubled, walked and struck out Sunday. He’s hitting .202/.234/.416 in 43 games in AAA with 57 (!) strikeouts.That 31% strikeout rate in the season in which he will turn 25 is scary.