– Rafael Montero turned in the pitching performance of the night in the Mets system: 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 55 of 79 pitches for strikes (70%). According to one eye-witness, he was sitting at 93 and made the Grizzlies look “silly” at times.
– Meanwhile, have a day LF Kirk Nieuwenhuis. The 26-year-old was 4-for-4 with a homer, threw out a runner at the plate, and made a nice running catch near the stands.
– Vic Black is still having control issues. He issued two walks and committed a throwing error, but used a pair of strikeouts to escape the eighth inning without allowing a run.
– Bobby Abreu singled as a pinch-hitter in the 7th inning.
– Erik Goeddel worked out the bullpen for the first time as a professional (not counting a few piggy-back appearances with Savannah two years ago) and struck out one in a three-batter ninth.
The B-Mets had four hits, while their pitchers issued 11 walks. That’s not a winning combination.
LHP Jack Leathersich pitched a very Leathery eighth inning in a 4-1 game: 3 strikeouts, 1 walk, no hits. In 29.1 innings in AA last year, he allowed almost as many walks (16) as hits (19) to go with his 55 strikeouts.