In general, at this time of year, these teams carry enormous rosters while waiting for more established big leaguers to turn up in November. These teams are not built around development, but winning thus they will keep the young guys on a very short leash. If a player does not produce, he will be sent home.
– In his first nine games for the Bravos de Margarita, 3B Wilmer Flores is hitting .324/.425/.471 for the Bravos de Margarita in the Venezuelan Winter League. He has three extra-base knocks, five walks and three whiffs. That’s all good stuff, but he’s also committed three errors, all at third base, in his nine games.
– Jordany Valdespin has played two games at second base and four in rightfield for the Tigres del Licey in the Domincan Winter League while hitting .400/.500/.750 with a double, two homers, four walks and two strikeouts in his six games so far.
Low Playing Time Position Guys in the DWL
The following guys are on rosters, but are not playing very much at all.
– Juan Lagares – Aguilas Cibaenas – 0-for-1
– Jefry Marte – Toros del Este – 0-for-1
– Francisco Pena – Aguilas Cibaenas – 3-for-11, 2 HR, 1 SB (!)
– Aderlin Rodriguez – Gigantes del Cibao – 0-for-1
The Mets have relatively few pitchers in the Caribbean leagues at the moment.
– Gonzalez Germen – Toros del Este – DWL – did not retire a batter while giving up a run on three hits in his only appearance.
– Elvin Ramirez – Gigantes del Cibao – DWL – gave up a run on two hits in his only inning of work.
– Armando Rodriguez – Leones del Escogido – DWL has 1.2 scoreless innings of relief work to his credit.