- In the five games since our last update, , 3B Wilmer Flores is 6-for-19 with two doubles, a walk and three strikeouts in five games for the Bravos de Margarita in the Venezuelan Winter League. Overall, in his 14 games, he’s hitting a solid .321/.410/.453 with four errors, five extra-base hits, six walks and eight strikeouts. The VWL is hitting .263/.344/.387. That’s a normal enough average and on-base percentage, but light on power relative to the top levels of US-based ball.
- Jordany Valdespin played two games this week, going a combined 0-for-6 to drop his winter line to .308/.419/.577 with three extra-base hits, and five walks against four strikeouts in eight games. He’s played two games at second base and four in rightfield and his last three games at DH for the Tigres del Licey in the Domincan Winter League. The DWL is hitting .265/.339/.408.
Low Playing Time Position Guys in the DWL
The following guys are on rosters, but are not playing very much at all.
- Juan Lagares – Aguilas Cibaenas – This week: 0-for-2. Overall: 0-for-3, BB, 2 K
- Jefry Marte - Toros del Este - This week: 0-0. Overall: 0-for-1
- Francisco Pena - Aguilas Cibaenas – This week: 2-7. Overall: 5-for-18, (.278/.381/.611), 2 HR, 2 BB, 0 K, 1 SB (!)
- Aderlin Rodriguez – Gigantes del Cibao - This week: 0-0. Overall: 0-for-1
For completeness, I will point out that Rafael Fernandez (Gigantes del Cibao – DWL), Juan Carlos Gamboa (Caneros de los Mochis – Mexican Pacific League), Oswaldo Navarro (Cardenales de Lara – VWL), Raul Reyes (Gigantes del Cibao – DWL) and Pedro Zapata (Leones del Escogido – DWL) are all playing a little bit for their respective teams. However, I do not regard any of these players as prospects whose future will impact the Mets. I don’t write about them much during the season, I’m not going to start in October and November.
The Mets still have relatively few pitchers in the Caribbean leagues at the moment.
- Gonzalez Germen - Toros del Este - DWL – Did not pitch this week. He did not retire a batter while giving up a run on three hits in his only appearance.
- Elvin Ramirez - Gigantes del Cibao – DWL – Threw a scoreless inning Sunday. Now has given up one run in his two innings of work.
- Armando Rodriguez – Leones del Escogido - DWL – Allowed one unearned run, his first, in 3.2 innings of relief this week. He’s fanned seven and walked two in 5.1 innings overall.