This article may contain affiliate links. For details, visit our Affiliate Disclosure page.
Sadly, bunting is one of the most ignored skills in baseball. The reality is that it’s one of the most important skills every baseball player should know how to execute. Most times incorporating bunting is the surest way a losing team can save themselves in the last games. And over the years it’s been proven that baseball players that use it end up with more wins. If you’re guilty of abandoning this skill, understanding, and implementing everything explained here is all you need to make up. Let us know “Baseball Bunt Tips”
Baseball Bunt Tips
Baseball Bunt Tips lets dig into it. The most important bunting tips include knowing the infielders’ prowess on the opposing team. Plus, avoid waiting unnecessarily too long to make contact, and hitting the baseball too early. Below are in-depth details of the different types of bunt and important tips on how to execute them, read on.
Bunting is a difficult technique to master, and drag bunting is the most difficult to implement. It’s the most difficult because instead of executing the bunt while the pitcher is winding up. When the ball is already in motion, the player begins bunting.
Drag bunting is implemented differently by a right-handed player than by a left-handed one. Here’s how to put both into action:
Tips for Implementing Drag Bunting As A Left-Handed Player
- A left-handed player should start by imagining their normal batting position in the batter’s box.
- They must ensure their foot doesn’t touch the plate.
- They should stay in the batter’s box because they’ll be called out once their foot moves outside the box and hits the ball.
- Above all, they mustn’t take a crossover step to hit a drag bunt. To hit the ball, they only need to move their left foot closer to the plate without touching it and that’s it.
Drag Bunting Tips For Right-Handed Player
- The best way to implement a drag bunt as a right-handed person is to square up immediately. This is after the pitcher wound up and became committed to stance. While the player should be in a normal hitting stance.
- They should bunt the baseball as near to the third foul base as possible. This is because the bunt should go foul rather than hitting it back to the pitcher.
This type of bunt is best implemented to make base runners advance from one base to the next. It’s implemented most times for advancing runners from first base to second base.
Baseball players can implement sacrifice bunts with the runners on first and second and less than two outs or with one runner on the first. Benefits of executing sacrifice bunt are;
It helps avoid the likelihood of making a double play.
- It helps place the runner in a good place to score.
Tips For Executing Sacrifice Bunting
- To implement a successful sacrifice bunt, the player should move up in the box. This help creates a fair territory to bunt the ball.
- After moving up the box, the player can then put it in whatever part of the infield is okay for the runner to advance.
Players can only execute the squeeze bunt when there’s a runner on the third base which has less than 2 outs. This means the runner will take off to go home as the batter does the squeeze bunt.
A successful squeeze bunt means forcing the defense to score the run and throw the hitter out at the first base. In situations where the players have two outs, the defense will just throw the batter out at the first base and then put an end to the inning.
Tips For Implementing Squeeze Bunt
The most important tip for Implementing a perfect squeeze is to ensure the batter makes contact with the ball. Then putting it in any desirable place in the infield between player positions.
The Squeeze bunt comes in two forms, namely; the squeeze plays and the suicide squeeze bunt. More information on the examples of squeeze bunts includes:
This is when the runner runs from third base to home before they bunt the ball. The player must make contact with the ball. That way, they’ll avoid the runner being tagged out at home. N.B; only players with excellent skills in bunting can carry out a perfect suicide squeeze.
The safety Squeeze bunt means the runner on the third base can’t break from home. He can only break away from home after ensuring that the bat is being laid down, and they can’t tag him out. The most important tip here is to make sure that there’s no way possible for the pitcher to field the ball.
Rules To Take Note While Executing Bunting
Similar to other baseball skills, bunting has its own rules and they are as follows;
The umpire declares the play dead when the bat contacts the ball in fair territory. This also means the players can’t advance.
- Successfully finishing a sacrifice bunt means at-bat doesn’t count. So the out doesn’t count against the player on the batting average.
- Getting a strike means the ball bunted into foul territory and players didn’t catch it before it hit the ground.
- Also, it’s a foul ball if a ball rolls foul before it passes third or first base. And the defender doesn’t contact the ball while it’s in fair territory.
- Three strikes mean batting the ball into foul territory with two strikes. This means they’ll call the batter out as well.
Now we have learnt “Baseball Bunt Tips”, Bunting is often called art because it’s a wonderful and unique skill to incorporate during baseball. Read up and start practicing the right way to have better chances of winning during games.
Frequently Asked Questions
#1. What is the common mistake baseball players make while executing bunting?
The common bunting mistake players make is stretching the bottom hand away from their body way too much.
#2.Is baseball bunting hard?
Yes, baseball bunting is a difficult skill for baseball players but it’s worth it most of the time.
#3. Does applying for bunt help with batting?
Yes, it helps a lot. A bunting well executed helps advance runners a great deal, and it helps in mixing up of defense.
#4. Is a missed bunt considered a strike?
Outright yes, a foul/missed bunt not caught in flight is considered a strike.