Can burnt rubber make you sick?

This article may contain affiliate links. For details, visit our Affiliate Disclosure page.

The nauseating stench of burnt rubber can make anyone feel uneasy. Whether it’s from a tire blowout on the highway or the smell of burning rubber emanating from an industrial plant, the fumes can be overwhelming. But can these fumes make you sick? In this post, we’ll explore the potential health hazards of burnt rubber and what you should know to protect yourself.

Can burnt rubber make you sick?

Understanding the Composition of Rubber

Before we delve into the health hazards of burnt rubber, it’s important to understand what rubber is and how it’s made. Rubber is a natural substance that comes from the sap of rubber trees, which are primarily found in Southeast Asia. The sap is harvested and processed to make a variety of rubber products, including tires, hoses, and belts.

Rubber products are made by combining the rubber sap with other chemicals, such as sulfur and carbon black. These chemicals are used to enhance the properties of rubber, making it more durable and resistant to heat and wear. The process of mixing these chemicals with the rubber sap is called vulcanization, and it’s what gives rubber its unique properties.

Potential Health Hazards of Burnt Rubber

When rubber is burned, it releases a variety of chemicals into the air. The exact composition of these chemicals depends on the type of rubber being burned and the temperature at which it’s burned. Some of the chemicals that can be released from burnt rubber include:

  1. Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is produced when rubber is burned. This gas can be deadly in high concentrations, as it interferes with the body’s ability to transport oxygen. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, nausea, and confusion.

  1. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs)

PAHs are a group of chemicals that are formed when organic matter is burned, including rubber. Some of these chemicals are known carcinogens, meaning they can cause cancer. PAHs can also cause respiratory problems, skin irritation, and other health issues.

  1. Sulfur Dioxide

Sulfur dioxide is a gas that is produced when rubber containing sulfur is burned. This gas can cause respiratory problems, including bronchitis and asthma. In high concentrations, it can also cause eye and throat irritation.

Protecting Yourself from Burnt Rubber Fumes

If you’re exposed to burnt rubber fumes, there are a few things you can do to protect yourself. First and foremost, try to avoid breathing in the fumes as much as possible. If you’re in an area where burnt rubber fumes are present, try to move to a location with cleaner air.

If you must be in an area with burnt rubber fumes, consider wearing a mask or respirator. These devices can help filter out some of the harmful chemicals in the air and reduce your risk of respiratory problems.

It’s also important to be aware of the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you start experiencing symptoms like headache, dizziness, or nausea, seek medical attention immediately.


In conclusion, burnt rubber can be a serious health hazard if you’re exposed to it for extended periods of time. The chemicals released when rubber is burned can cause a variety of health problems, including respiratory issues and cancer. If you’re ever in an area with burnt rubber fumes, try to avoid breathing in the fumes as much as possible and take steps to protect yourself. With a little bit of caution, you can keep yourself safe from the potential hazards of burnt rubber.

Can burnt rubber make you sick?
Scroll to top