Do farm raised Salmon have Parasites?

This article may contain affiliate links. For details, visit our Affiliate Disclosure page.


The debate over farm-raised salmon has been raging for years. Is it healthier than wild caught salmon? Is it more sustainable? Does it have parasites? Many of these questions have yet to be answered, but one thing is certain: farm-raised salmon is becoming increasingly popular. With the global demand for salmon increasing, more and more people are turning to farm-raised salmon as an alternative to wild-caught salmon. While farm-raised salmon can be a great source of nutrition, it is important to understand the potential risks associated with it, including the possibility of parasites. In this article, we will explore the potential for parasites in farm-raised salmon, as well as the steps you can take to reduce your risk of exposure.

Do farm raised Salmon have parasites?

What Are Parasites?

Parasites are organisms that live in or on another organism, often causing harm to the host organism. They can be found in all sorts of animals, including fish. Parasites can cause a range of health issues, from mild discomfort to serious illness, and in extreme cases, even death. While most parasites are relatively harmless, some can cause serious health problems if left untreated.

Parasites in Farm-Raised Salmon

The potential for parasites in farm-raised salmon is a real concern. In fact, studies have shown that farm-raised salmon are more likely to be infected with parasites than wild-caught salmon. This is due to the fact that farm-raised salmon are raised in close quarters, which can create ideal conditions for parasites to thrive. Additionally, parasites can be introduced to farm-raised salmon through their feed, which is often sourced from wild-caught fish.

The Risk of Eating Parasite-Infected Salmon

Eating parasite-infected salmon can be a serious health risk. Some parasites, such as nematodes and tapeworms, can cause intestinal discomfort and even serious illness if left untreated. Additionally, some parasites can be transmitted to humans, posing a risk of infection. The risk of infection is particularly high if the fish is eaten raw or undercooked, as parasites can survive the cooking process.

Preventing Exposure to Parasites in Farm-Raised Salmon

Fortunately, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of exposure to parasites in farm-raised salmon. First, it is important to purchase your salmon from a trusted source. Look for salmon that is certified by a third-party organization, such as the Marine Stewardship Council. This will ensure that the salmon has been raised in a sustainable and responsible manner.

Second, make sure to cook your salmon thoroughly. Cooking the salmon to an internal temperature of 145°F will kill any parasites that may be present. Additionally, make sure to remove any visible parasites before cooking.

Finally, it is important to practice good hygiene when handling and preparing your salmon. Wash your hands thoroughly after handling raw salmon, and make sure to clean all surfaces and utensils that have come in contact with the raw salmon.


Parasites can be a real concern when it comes to farm-raised salmon. However, by following the steps outlined above, you can reduce your risk of exposure to parasites. Remember, the key is to purchase your salmon from a trusted source, cook it thoroughly, and practice good hygiene when handling and preparing your salmon.

Do farm raised Salmon have Parasites?
Scroll to top