This article may contain affiliate links. For details, visit our Affiliate Disclosure page.
On-base percentage is commonly known as OBP. It is used to calculate or measure the speed means how fast or frequently the batter reaches the bases. The formula to calculate it is OBP=H+BB+HBP/AB+BB+HBP+SF. First officially it was calculated in 1984 in Major League Baseball. However, in some situations, OBP is not calculated. OBP is added with slugging average for calculating the value of OPS, i.e. on-base plus slugging. Ted Williams is regarded as the best Major League Baseball leader in OBP. Still, now, there is no other player as good as Ted Williams.
- Definition of OBP-:
- How to calculate or what is procedure of calculating OBP?
- Learn about fundamentals-:
- What is at bats?
- Description of hit-:
- Function of base on balls-:
- Have to aware about some facts?
- Identification of sacrifice fly-:
- Let’s discuss about second procedure, it has six steps-:
- At which situations or when OBP is not calculated?
- Which hitters have the best OBP score?
- What are the different score levels of OBP score?
- All-time best OBP stats record holders -:
Definition of OBP-:
On-base Percentage is calculated to calculate and measure the batter speed. It is a statistical representation. A graph will describe the frequency. Formula to calculate this is H+BB+HBP/AB+BB+HBP+SF. Let’s discuss the formula in detail-:
H stands for Hits.
BB stands for Bases on Balls (Walks).
HBP stands for Hit-By-Pitch.
AB stands for At Bat.
SF stands for a Sacrifice fly.
Firstly, we have to calculate all these, and next by using the formula the required statistics will be calculated.
How to calculate or what is procedure of calculating OBP?
There are two ways or procedures to calculate OBP. The first procedure has six steps-:
Learn about fundamentals-:
- Firtsly, identify the different major parts of the baseball ground. The ground or the field is a build-up of the infield, outfield, pitcher’s mound, 3 bases, and a home plate.
- The infield part is diamond-shaped, this part of the ground leaps with home plate, i.e. the batter’s standing position and first second, and third bases.
- The part that is located outside the infield area is called a playing area or outfield area.
- The position where the pitcher is pitching is called as pitcher’s mound.
What is at bats?
At the time when batter goes to the home plate, he gets an “at-bat”.
Description of hit-:
- At the time when the batter strikes or hits the ball into the infield or outfield and runs towards the base and reaches it without being out then the batter gets his hit.
- If the batter hits or strikes the ball out of the foul lines means the boundaries of the ground will be counted as foul, not as a hit.
Function of base on balls-:
When the batter is batting and gets four pitches or balls from the pitcher at that moment, they were outside the hitting area. During this moment pitcher desperately wants the strike and then walks toward first base. It is called base on the ball means BB.
Have to aware about some facts?
Firstly, aware of the fact that batters hit by pitches get the base. Secondly, if the batter or his bat is hit by a pitch, then the batter walks towards the first base. This process is called “hit-by-pitch”.
Identification of sacrifice fly-:
If a batter strikes the ball into the air intentionally to get out and give the strike to his teammate a chance who was standing on another base, to score. This process is called “sacrifice fly” which means SF.
Let’s discuss about second procedure, it has six steps-:
- Calculate the number of hits-: When the batter gets a strike and strikes the ball into a safe place and completes the run by reaching their first base. This is the process to calculate the number of hits. It means BB+H.
- Calculate number of bases on balls-: While calculating the number of hits on the ball we have to calculate how many times a player reached first base. It needs to calculate because a batter will receive four pitches or balls outside the strike zone. It means BB=1.
- Total number of hit by a pitch-: It is necessary to calculate does the player has reached the base ever. The reason is the batter has been hit by a pitch. It means HBP=0.
- Calculate total number of at bats-: It is required to calculate because we need to find out the value of on-base percentage. During calculation it is necessary to know how many times does the batter hit the ball. Most of the batters hit four to five times maximum during a match, although the game has too much variation. So, it is necessary to calculate the particular value. It means AB=S.
- How many sacrifice flies-: During a game, if a player-hits sacrifice flies, then it is necessary to calculate its value to find OBP. It means SF=0;
- Finally calculate the OBP value-: After getting the value of the above equations, the OBP value will calculate using the formula that OBP is H+BB+HBP/AB+BB+HBP+SF. For example-: If the H+BB+HBP value is 3 and the AB+BB+HBP+SF value is 6. According to the formula 3, will be divided by 6 then the result will be 0.5.
At which situations or when OBP is not calculated?
- When the batter reaches the first base.
- In case of fielding errors.
- In the case of the fielders choice.
- In case of uncaught third strikes.
- In case of fielders obstruction.
- In case of catchers interference.
Which hitters have the best OBP score?
In baseball matches, the leadoff hitters have the best OBP average score. The reason is that .360 is the best OBP score. The leadoff hitters always have .360 is best.
What are the different score levels of OBP score?
In baseball games, OBP score calculated in every single match. Every player has their own OBP score according to their speed. OBP calculated by using a formula. The average OBP score is .340. .340 is called a solid score in baseball. .360 is a good OBP score few players in the game have a score of .360. In matches, a .360 score is not easy to score. More than a .360 score is the best score in baseball and only some players in the history of baseball have this score level. More than 400 is an outstanding score in a baseball game. To reach this score every player needs to be very fast and have a high-frequency level to complete more than a .400 score. Exceptional players can only achieve this level.
All-time best OBP stats record holders -:
OBP is process to complete the frequency of a player about how fast he reaches the base. Here is the list of top 5 best OBP stats record holders-:
- Ted Williams-: His best OBP score is .4817
- Babe Ruth-: His best OBP score is .4739
- John McGraw-: His best OBP score is .4657
- Billy Hamilton-: His best OBP score is .4552
- Oscar Charleston-: His best OBP score is .4487
OBP is a statical representation of a player OBP rate. It is measured by calculating the values of OBP as H, BB, HBP, AB, BB, HBP, and SF and using the formula OBP is H+BB+HBP/AB+BB+HBP+SF, we will get the on-base percentage. Reason to calculate On-base Percentage is to know the performance of the player without being out. .340 is the most common score, more than .400 is an outstanding On-base Percentage score.