This article may contain affiliate links. For details, visit our Affiliate Disclosure page.
He is an American baseball pitcher playing for the New York Mets. He was previously playing for the Arizona Diamondbacks. He has 3000 strikeouts and has won three Cy Young Awards. He has also won a World Series Championship. Mets got Scherzer because he prefers playing under pressure. He was also offered a high amount by the Mets owner: Steve Cohen. Thirdly, Max Scherzer wanted to play with Cy Young Winner. These factors played a huge part in motivating Scherzer to join the Mets.
Max Scherzer brings obsession, and relentlessness to win in the team. He adds up to a rotation with a lot of talent. His mindset along with his expectations are not static. He is quite lucky throughout his career to have great starting pitches. He just goes to the field and has fun, his fans also have fun seeing him play incredibly.
Why Do the Mets Need Max Scherzer?
Max Scherzer was considered a priority for Max because there was a dire need to change the culture and the perception of the Mets. This is because the intensity and the work ethic he brings to every game is something that the Mets needed. He is capable of changing things around the team.
For the longest time, the Mets didn’t have a player like Max Scherzer. The Mets needed pitching and he was the best guy out there, and the Mets have a lot of money to offer. The Mets have been observed to go for quantity over quality for as long as anyone can remember. So, it was about time that they started prioritizing quality over quantity of the players.
Max Scherzer Agreeing to Terms With the Mets
It was a monumental deal not just because Max Scherzer is a good player, but also because Cohen’s ability to spend was not at all exaggerated. He gave out one of the few contracts to Max in Mets history. It was a hundred and a million pact for a 37-year-old pitcher. Max Scherzer is not a 37 years old pitcher, but a three times Cy Young award winner, and a guy who gave the Mets incredibility as a pitcher and made everyone around him a better player.
Max Scherzer is known as the greatest competitor by the people he has played with. This proves that you are looking at something quite special. He has proven himself and the fact that if anyone can pitch so gracefully, it’s Max Scherzer.
Max Scherzer is the 5th Largest in the Mets’ History
- Francisco Lindor: $341 m
- David Wright: $138 m
- Jacob deGrom $137.5 m
- Johan Santana: $137.5 m
- Max Scherzer: $130 m
Max Scherzer Did Not Choose Mets Only for Money
Since he was one of the few players to get such big contracts, rumors were heard that it was all about money.
There were other reasons that contributed to his decision of joining the Mets:
- First of all, Max Scherzer explains how he was caught off guard when Steve Cohen, who is also the owner of the Mets, expressed his enthusiasm toward winning at any cost. The fact that he was expressing this to Max was itself a big thing because he was expecting all this from him.
- Max was impressed because he didn’t seem to be wanted by other League owners as much and this led him to choose Steve Cohen’s team instantly.
- Max is also of the view that no matter how good the team plays if it doesn’t have the back of the owner, it can’t prosper.
- Apart from this, Max Scherzer also won Cy Young Award Winner and wanted to play with one: Jacob deGrom. He was a member of the Mets and it proved one of the major reasons Max Scherzer joined the team.
- Another reason which contributed to Scherzer joining the Mets was his home was just a 30-minute drive away from the Met’s spring training facility and at 37 years of age, he valued this fact more than anything else in the world.
- Scherzer also wanted to alter the culture of the clubhouse.
- He loves playing under high pressure and playing with great players from the opposite team would also enhance his game.
There is no denying the fact that Max Scherzer is a great pitcher and it is the team’s luck to have him and cheer for him. However, Steve Cohen’s offering Max Scherzer to join the team was one of the major news that fans got to hear. The factors that contributed to his joining the team have also been mentioned for you to decipher the situation yourself in a better way.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Much Did Scherzer Take to Join the Mets?
At the time of the contract, he was offered $130 million. However, his average annual salary is 43.3 million USD.
Was Max Scherzer a Free Agent Ever?
Yes, after completing a seven-year $210 million contract, he was a free agent.